Clement of Alexandria (c. 150-220) was one of the church fathers who, in contrast to Tertullian, took a positive attitude toward philosophy and Greek learning. Clement held that the Greek writers were able to discern important truths because the divine wisdom, or Logos, is present in all humans. Though philosophy is inferior to and cannot substitute for revelation, Clement thought its study can deepen one's understanding of revelation.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 24.
Saturday, January 03, 2009
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- Book Review: Philosophy of Religion by Norman Geis...
- William Lane Craig - Does God Exist MP3 Audio
- Are All Religions Created Equal? Doug Groothuis MP...
- Gary Habermas vs. Arif Ahmed Debate MP3 Audio
- The Historical Jesus - Gary Habermas MP3 Audio
- Bart Ehrman vs. James White Debate MP3 Audio
- Sunday Quote: Francis Schaeffer on Apologetics
- Book Review: Introduction to Philosophy by Norman ...
- Featured Website: Apologetics Directory
- Why Don't I Feel My Faith MP3 Audio by Ravi Zachar...
- Why Should Anyone Believe Anything At All MP3 Audi...
- The Best Review of The Shack Out There MP3 Audio
- The Psychology of Atheism by Paul Vitz MP3 Audio
- Sunday Quote: Samuel Chadwick on Prayer
- Book Review: Tactics by Greg Koukl
- The Shack Reviewed by Todd Wilkin MP3 Audio
- Michael Licona Debates MP3 Audio and Video
- God's Problem by Bart Ehrman Critique
- James White Critiques Misquoting Jesus MP3 Audio
- James White Critiques Bart Ehrman MP3 Audio
- Sunday Quote: D. L. Moody on the Personal Apologet...
- European Leadership Forum 2009
- Apologetics in Pastoral Ministry MP3 Audio by Will...
- Tactics Book by Greg Koukl Coming Soon
- Bart Ehrman and Peter Williams MP3 Audio
- John Lennox New Atheism MP3 Audio
- Evidence for the Christian Faith
- Sunday Quote: Blaise Pascal on Believing
- Historical Apologist: Clement of Alexandria
- Christopher Hitchens vs William Lane Craig Debate
- Bible Reading Plans for 2009
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2008 (219)