A Rulebook for Arguments (3rd Edition) by Anthony Weston is a short and helpful guidebook for making effective arguments for your position. Weighing in at only 85 pages, the content is simple and clear, but by no means lightweight. This is a gem of a book for critical thinking, argumentation, and logical communication – suitable for an introductory text as well as a guidebook for the advanced.
There are ten brief chapters in the book. Chapters 1—6 deal with various types of arguments (arguments by example, by analogy, from authority, about causes, and deductive arguments). Chapters 7—9 give instruction on composing and argumentative essay. This content gives the reader a game plan for writing effectively, clearly, and persuasively. Finally, chapter 10 deals with the most common logical fallacies, offering a brief explanation of each.
There are a number of good points the reader will take away from this book. First, the book shows the reader how to use language properly by avoiding common errors and encouraging clarity. Second, it presents the correct ways to use various forms of arguments. Third, it gives a nice introduction to deductive arguments without heavy terminology. A good number of logical fallacies are covered but not over-emphasized. Finally, the authors offer great insights into writing effectively.
In short, A Rulebook for Arguments is highly recommended as a concise guide to logical and effective communication.
Monday, April 27, 2009
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- James White Critiques Dan Barker's Debates
- The Missing Gospels MP3 Audio Interview
- Scientists, Philosophers, Historians & Apologists ...
- Book Review: A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony W...
- Sunday Quote: Dallas Willard on Evolution
- Does God Have to Obey the 10 Commandments? - by Gr...
- Todd Friel Interviews Christopher Hitchens MP3 Aud...
- Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturali...
- A Brief Historical Critique of the Zeitgeist Movie...
- European Leadership Forum One Month Away
- Featured Podcast: Straight Thinking
- Sunday Quote: Os Guinness on Doubt
- Dinesh D'Souza vs. Peter Singer Debate: Can There ...
- Is God Necessary for Morality? William Lane Craig ...
- New Atheism by Norman Geisler MP3 Audio
- A Critique of Bart Ehrman's Jesus Interrupted by B...
- Wayne Grudem's Christian Essentials MP3 Audio Reso...
- Problems of Evil by Douglas Geivett MP3 Audio
- Sunday Quote: B.B. Warfield on the Resurrection
- Evidence for the Resurrection of Christ by Peter K...
- Easter and the Resurrection MP3 Audio
- Against Materialism by Alvin Plantinga MP3 Audio
- Habermas, Flew & Wright Dialogue MP3 Audio
- Apologetics Teaching Series MP3 Audio
- Christopher Hitchens vs William Lane Craig Debate ...
- Gary Habermas and Tim Keller Audio Interviews
- Sunday Quote: John Stott on the Resurrection
- The Case For Objective Moral Values MP3 Audio by P...
- Dan Barker vs. Douglas Wilson Debate MP3 Audio
- Does the God of Christianity Exist and Does it Mat...
- The Moral Argument for God's Existence MP3 Audio b...
- ▼ April (31)
- ► 2008 (219)