Holism: A term used in epistemology for theories of meaning and justification that emphasize systematic interconnections. Theories that view meaning as determined by the relations that concepts have to each other, rather than by the referential relation of language to extralinguistic reality, are often called holistic. Coherentist, nonfoundationalist accounts of justification are also referred to as holistic. In both cases the image of a web is often used, with meaning or justification said to be a function of the place occupied in the web of concepts or web of beliefs.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), pp. 55.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
- ► 2015 (70)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- Heads for Men and Hearts for Women?
- International Society of Women in Apologetics
- Sir Robert Anderson on Reason and Truth
- Book Review: The Case for Life by Scott Klusendorf...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/21 - 10/28)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch08
- William Lane Craig vs. Peter Millican Debate Audio...
- William Lane Craig vs. Michael Tooley: Is God Real...
- Terminology Tuesday: Objectivity
- Apologist Interview: Nabeel Qureshi
- Douglas Groothuis on the Biblical Worldview
- Book Review: Hidden Treasures in the Book of Job
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/14 - 10/21)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch07
- Video Interviews with Craig A. Evans
- Read Along with Apologetics315: Chapter Index for ...
- William Lane Craig vs. Stephen Law: Does God Exist...
- Terminology Tuesday: Categorical Imperative
- Apologist Interview: Craig A. Evans
- Douglas Groothuis on Christianity's Claims
- Book Review: Why God Won’t Go Away: Is the New Ath...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/07 - 10/14)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch06
- Video Interview with Brian Auten on Apologetics
- Greg Koukl vs John Baker Debate: Do Moral Truths E...
- Terminology Tuesday: Holism
- Apologist Interview: John Warwick Montgomery
- Peter Kreeft on Moral Relativism
- Book Review: Exploring the Origins of the Bible ed...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (09/30 - 10/07)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch05
- Is God Necessary for Morality? by William Lane Cra...
- There's Probably No Dawkins
- Terminology Tuesday: Abduction
- Apologist Interview: Jeremiah J. Johnston
- C.S. Lewis on Christianity
- Book Review: More Than Matter? by Keith Ward
- ▼ October (37)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)