Objectivity: The quality of a fair-minded inquirer concerned about truth. The nature of this quality is, however, controversial. One ideal of objectivity is that of the completely neutral, detached, emotionless, presuppositionless thinker, who occupies what Thomas Nagel has called "the view from nowhere" or sees the world as Baruch Spinoza described it, from a god-like viewpoint, "under the aspect of eternity." Objectivity in this sense is widely attacked by postmodern thinkers as an impossible and even undesirable ideal. However objectivity in this sense should be distinguished from the honestly of the person who really cares about the truth and is willing to respect contrary evidence. This kind of objectivity seems compatible with recognizing our human finitude and the ways in which our passions and assumptions can function as aids in the search for truth, rather than simply being distorting filters.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), pp. 83.
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- Heads for Men and Hearts for Women?
- International Society of Women in Apologetics
- Sir Robert Anderson on Reason and Truth
- Book Review: The Case for Life by Scott Klusendorf...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/21 - 10/28)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch08
- William Lane Craig vs. Peter Millican Debate Audio...
- William Lane Craig vs. Michael Tooley: Is God Real...
- Terminology Tuesday: Objectivity
- Apologist Interview: Nabeel Qureshi
- Douglas Groothuis on the Biblical Worldview
- Book Review: Hidden Treasures in the Book of Job
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/14 - 10/21)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch07
- Video Interviews with Craig A. Evans
- Read Along with Apologetics315: Chapter Index for ...
- William Lane Craig vs. Stephen Law: Does God Exist...
- Terminology Tuesday: Categorical Imperative
- Apologist Interview: Craig A. Evans
- Douglas Groothuis on Christianity's Claims
- Book Review: Why God Won’t Go Away: Is the New Ath...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/07 - 10/14)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch06
- Video Interview with Brian Auten on Apologetics
- Greg Koukl vs John Baker Debate: Do Moral Truths E...
- Terminology Tuesday: Holism
- Apologist Interview: John Warwick Montgomery
- Peter Kreeft on Moral Relativism
- Book Review: Exploring the Origins of the Bible ed...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (09/30 - 10/07)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch05
- Is God Necessary for Morality? by William Lane Cra...
- There's Probably No Dawkins
- Terminology Tuesday: Abduction
- Apologist Interview: Jeremiah J. Johnston
- C.S. Lewis on Christianity
- Book Review: More Than Matter? by Keith Ward
- ▼ October (37)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)