fides quaerens intellectum: Literally, "faith seeking understanding." The phrase originated with Anselm in his Proslogion and was used to show the relationship of religious faith to human reason. For Anselm, matters of religion and theology are understood only by first believing them and then proceeding to gain an intellectual understanding of the things already believed. In other words, faith is both logically and chronologically prior to reason.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 52.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- Science & Religion - Where the Conflict Really Lie...
- Terminology Tuesday: fides quaerens intellectum
- Apologist Interview: Winfried Corduan
- The Only Foundation of Sound Knowledge and Learnin...
- Book Review: Good God: The Theistic Foundations of...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/18 - 11/25)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch12
- 7 Ways for Your Church to Engage
- Apologist Interview: Jonathan Morrow
- Timothy McGrew on the Internet and Scholarship
- Book Review: The Last Superstition by Edward Feser...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/11 - 11/18)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch11
- Debate: Douglas Jacoby vs. Robert Brotherus Debate...
- 15 Ways to Detect Nonsense
- Apologist Interview: David Horner
- John Dominic Crossan on Jesus' Death
- Book Review: Providence and the Problem of Evil by...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/04 - 11/11)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch10
- Featured Resource: One-Minute Apologist Podcast
- Is God a Delusion? William Lane Craig in Oxford
- Apologist Interview: Angus Menuge
- William J. Abraham on the Christian Worldview
- Book Review: With Good Reason: An Introduction to ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/28 - 11/04)
- Apologetics and Women's Ministry: A Heart for the ...
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch09
- An ApoloWhat?
- Implementing Apologetics in Women’s Ministry
- Women Called to the Front Lines of the Faith
- J.P. Moreland on the Christian Worldview
- Argument and the Woman Apologist
- ▼ November (33)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)