Proposition, propositionalism: A proposition is a meaningful, logical statement (or assertion) that can be confirmed in some manner, such as by sensory observation, and so can be subjected to scientific inquiry. Propositionalism presents and defends theological truths by setting them forth as a series of propositions that can be reasonable demonstrated to be true. Propositionalism serves as an important reminder that the Christian faith has a rational and, hence, a scientifically demonstrable dimension. Critics accuse propositionalists of reducing the faith to a cognitive level and thereby missing the sense of wonder, awe and mystery about God and salvation; the importance of the affective, emotive and intuitive dimensions of human life; and the importance of the practical outworking of Christian commitment in a life of service to God and others.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), pp. 96-97.
Tuesday, November 01, 2011
- ► 2015 (70)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- Science & Religion - Where the Conflict Really Lie...
- Terminology Tuesday: fides quaerens intellectum
- Apologist Interview: Winfried Corduan
- The Only Foundation of Sound Knowledge and Learnin...
- Book Review: Good God: The Theistic Foundations of...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/18 - 11/25)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch12
- 7 Ways for Your Church to Engage
- Terminology Tuesday: Inerrancy
- Apologist Interview: Jonathan Morrow
- Timothy McGrew on the Internet and Scholarship
- Book Review: The Last Superstition by Edward Feser...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/11 - 11/18)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch11
- Debate: Douglas Jacoby vs. Robert Brotherus Debate...
- 15 Ways to Detect Nonsense
- Terminology Tuesday: Relativism
- Apologist Interview: David Horner
- John Dominic Crossan on Jesus' Death
- Book Review: Providence and the Problem of Evil by...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/04 - 11/11)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch10
- Featured Resource: One-Minute Apologist Podcast
- Is God a Delusion? William Lane Craig in Oxford
- Terminology Tuesday: Humanism
- Apologist Interview: Angus Menuge
- William J. Abraham on the Christian Worldview
- Book Review: With Good Reason: An Introduction to ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/28 - 11/04)
- Apologetics and Women's Ministry: A Heart for the ...
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch09
- An ApoloWhat?
- Implementing Apologetics in Women’s Ministry
- Women Called to the Front Lines of the Faith
- J.P. Moreland on the Christian Worldview
- Argument and the Woman Apologist
- Terminology Tuesday: Propositionalism
- ▼ November (37)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)