creatio ex nihilo: A Latin phrase that literally means "creation out of nothing." Augustine is credited with developing the argument that God created the world without any preexisting materials. This was in contrast to most Greek philosophers, who understood the creative act as God's ordering of eternally existing materials into the present world or universe. The value of the doctrine of creatio ex nihilo is that it maintains a clear distinction between God and the created order and also maintains that God alone has eternal status.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 32.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- Book Review: Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trus...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/23 - 12/30)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch16
- 2011 Year in Review: Apologetics 315
- Apologetics Ministries to Support
- Terminology Tuesday: Internal Testimony of the Spi...
- Merry Christmas from Apologetics 315!
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/16 - 12/23)
- Can We Trust the Bible? Audio by Craig Blomberg
- Terminology Tuesday: Immortality
- Apologist Interview: Peter S. Williams
- Graham Stanton on the Significance of Jesus
- Book Review: Aquinas by Edward Feser
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/09 - 12/16)
- Christopher Hitchens: 13 April 1949 – 15 Dec 2011
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch15
- Christmas Book Giveaway
- Debate: Walter Martin vs Madalyn Murray O’Hair
- Terminology Tuesday: Creatio Ex Nihilo
- 10 Favorite Apologetics Interviews
- Leibniz on the Universe and its Author
- Book Review: A Short History of Atheism by Gavin H...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/02 - 12/09)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch14
- Gospels and Acts as History by Timothy McGrew
- Terminology Tuesday: Omnipotence
- Philosopher Interview: Alvin Plantinga
- Galileo on Sense and Reason
- Book Review: The Soul of Science: Christian Faith ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/25 - 12/02)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch13
- 5 Great Apologetics Talks: The Ahmanson Lecture Se...
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)