Immortality: Most simply, the inability to cease to exist or the ability to exist eternally. In this sense God is the only being who is truly immortal, because God has always existed and will not cease to exist. Some theologians argue, however, that human souls are created by God as intrinsically immortal, whereas others argue that the soul only becomes extrinsically immortal upon the reception of "eternal life" through salvation. Either way, it is commonly agreed that all humans, whether righteous or wicked, are subject to physical death as a consequence of sin and thus are universally mortal as to their earthly life. Whatever immortality humans possess is due to the will and power of God.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 64.
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- Book Review: Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trus...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/23 - 12/30)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch16
- 2011 Year in Review: Apologetics 315
- Apologetics Ministries to Support
- Terminology Tuesday: Internal Testimony of the Spi...
- Merry Christmas from Apologetics 315!
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/16 - 12/23)
- Can We Trust the Bible? Audio by Craig Blomberg
- Terminology Tuesday: Immortality
- Apologist Interview: Peter S. Williams
- Graham Stanton on the Significance of Jesus
- Book Review: Aquinas by Edward Feser
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/09 - 12/16)
- Christopher Hitchens: 13 April 1949 – 15 Dec 2011
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch15
- Christmas Book Giveaway
- Debate: Walter Martin vs Madalyn Murray O’Hair
- Terminology Tuesday: Creatio Ex Nihilo
- 10 Favorite Apologetics Interviews
- Leibniz on the Universe and its Author
- Book Review: A Short History of Atheism by Gavin H...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/02 - 12/09)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch14
- Gospels and Acts as History by Timothy McGrew
- Terminology Tuesday: Omnipotence
- Philosopher Interview: Alvin Plantinga
- Galileo on Sense and Reason
- Book Review: The Soul of Science: Christian Faith ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/25 - 12/02)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch13
- 5 Great Apologetics Talks: The Ahmanson Lecture Se...
- ▼ December (32)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)