Foundationalism: A term referring to any theory of knowledge that looks for a starting point or "foundation" on which to build knowledge. This foundation may take the form of an indisputable proposition or set of propositions on which knowledge can be constructed through the use of logical reasoning from the first propositions. Historically, René Descartes is credited with being one of the greatest foundationalist philosophers. Descartes begins his whole system of knowledge by affirming the now-famous dictum cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am). Alternatively, some foundationalists (e.g., Friedrich Schleiermacher) have sought to construct knowledge on the basis of some supposedly universal human experience.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 53.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Terminology Tuesday: Counterfactuals
- Scholar Interview: Peter J. Williams
- C.S. Lewis on Motivation
- Book Review: The Christ Files by John Dickson
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/20 - 01/27)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch20
- Ehrman's Problem: A Critique by Clay Jones
- Michael Licona vs Shane Puckett Debate: Did Jesus ...
- Terminology Tuesday: Foundationalism
- Interview with Apologetics UK
- J.P. Moreland on the Testimony of the Disciples
- Book Review: Fabricating Jesus by Craig Evans
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/13 - 01/20)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch19
- William Lane Craig's Cambridge Union Society Debat...
- Is What We Have Now What They Wrote Then? Audio an...
- Terminology Tuesday: Divine Action
- Interview on Intelligent Design: Casey Luskin
- William Lane Craig on Results
- Book Review: Christian Ethics by Norman Geisler
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/06 - 01/13)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch18
- Can Science Inform Our Understanding of God? MP3 S...
- Best Selling Apologetics Books of 2011
- Terminology Tuesday: Necessary Truths
- New Testament Scholar Interview: Daniel B. Wallace...
- Darrell Bock on the Bible
- Book Review: Is God Just a Human Invention? And Se...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/30 - 01/06)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch17
- Doubt: RZIM Conference Audio
- 10 Pitfalls of the Foolish Apologist
- Terminology Tuesday: Criticism
- Craig Keener Interview on Miracles
- C.S. Lewis on the Meaning of Morality
- ▼ January (35)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)