Compatibilism: In philosophy of action, the view that causal determinism is logically compatible with free will. The compatibilist who accepts both determinism and free will is called a soft determinist. Compatibilism usually defines free will as an action that is caused by the individual's own desires or wishes, rather than being coerced by some external power. The alternative possibilities that seem necessary for genuine free will are interpreted by compatibilists as hypothetical in character. For example, the individual who freely gave money to a charity could have refrained from giving money if the individual had wished to do so or if the situation had been different. Critics of compatibilism argue that genuine freedom requires an individual to have more than one possibility that is actually possible at the time of choosing, not merely possibilities that would be open if certain facts that do not obtain were to obtain.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 25.
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- The Gospels as Historical Biography by Richard Bau...
- Terminology Tuesday: Compatibilism
- Apologist Interview: Ravi Zacharias
- John Lennox on DNA and Design
- Book Review: Where the Conflict Really Lies: Scien...
- Richard Dawkins vs Rowan Williams Debate Audio/Vid...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/17 - 02/24)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch24
- Online Apologetics Conference 2012
- How Should We Understand the Resurrection Narrativ...
- Terminology Tuesday: The Good
- Apologist Interview: Ken Boa
- Craig Keener on Miracles
- Book Review: If God, Why Evil? by Norman Geisler
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/10 - 02/17)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch23
- Debate: Daniel Wallace & Bart Ehrman 2012 Audio/Vi...
- Free Book Drawing: Why Jesus by Ravi Zacharias
- Terminology Tuesday: Grace
- Apologist Interview: Holly Ordway on Literary Apol...
- Pinchas Lapide on the Miracle of the Resurrection
- Book Review: Can Man Live Without God? by Ravi Zac...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/03 - 02/10)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch22
- Questions Christians Hope No One Will Ask Simulcas...
- Who Wrote the Gospels? Audio and Video by Tim McGr...
- Terminology Tuesday: Synoptic Gospels, Synoptic Pr...
- Scholar Interview: Craig Keener
- John Lennox on the Definition of Faith
- Book Review: Imaginative Apologetics
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/27 - 02/03)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch21
- 10 Reference Books for the Apologist
- Debate: Craig Evans & Bart Ehrman 2012
- ▼ February (34)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)