Read Along project with the excellent apologetics textbook Christian Apologetics by Doug Groothuis. (The index can be found here.) It was only 700+ pages. But now it's time to move on to the next Read Along project.
This time around we'll be tackling a much shorter book, under 300 pages, just 18 chapters... but it is another excellent book: Is God Just a Human Invention: And Seventeen Other Questions Raised by the New Atheists by Sean McDowell and Jonathan Morrow. (Hear the interview with the authors here and book review here.)
First, the quality of the content is excellent. The authors have a wonderful ability to distill key ideas concisely without sacrificing depth. Second, the size is right. The chapters are a manageable size and the book isn't overwhelming. The diversity of content keeps it fresh, while staying relevant to key apologetic topics. Third, it introduces the reader to the key voices on the apologetic landscape. It also provides helpful pointers to key resources for further reading. This is a great place to get started down the right path in dealing with each particular issue. Finally, this book covers the kind of issues that we deal with everyday in conversation, on the internet, and as we grapple with the issues ourselves.
So what's the plan? For those who did the Read Along previously, you'll see that things will flow the same way: Audio will be provided each week with chapter summaries, a PDF study guide, and a place to discuss the reading online.
Okay, so when do we start? We'll announce that soon. (It will be about two weeks.) But in the meantime, you can pick up the paperback or the Kindle version of the book so you'll be ready to start.
Looking forward to reading along with you again!
Friday, March 16, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Book Review: This is Your Brain on Music: The Scie...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/23 - 03/30)
- Read Along: Chapter One—Is Faith Irrational?
- Programming of Life Video
- An Apologetics Reading Plan for Beginners
- Terminology Tuesday: Voluntarism
- Apologist Interview: Dan Story
- J. Budziszewski on the Meaning of Morality
- Review: Why People Don’t Believe: Confronting Seve...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/16 - 03/23)
- Read Along with Apologetics 315
- Internal Evidence for the Gospels by Timothy McGre...
- Thomas Woodward Interview on Intelligent Design
- Terminology Tuesday: Specified Complexity
- Scholar Interview: David Instone-Brewer
- Augustine on Knowledge and Ignorance
- Book Review: The Heresy of Orthodoxy, by Andreas K...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/09 - 03/16)
- Do You Want to Read Along?
- External Evidence for the Gospels by Timothy McGre...
- Free Audio Sample: Critical Thinking & Apologetics...
- Featured Book—True Reason: Christian Responses to ...
- Theology Interview: C. Michael Patton
- Douglas Groothuis on Apologetics
- Book Review: Why Jesus? by Ravi Zacharias
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/02 - 03/09)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch26
- 7 Rules for Apologetics MP3 Audio
- Logic, Critical Thinking, and Apologetics Course
- Terminology Tuesday: Infinity
- Apologist Interview: Tom Price and Vince Vitale of...
- Dinesh D'Souza on the Existence of Jesus
- Book Review: Politics for Christians by Francis Be...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/24 - 03/02)
- Read Along: Christian Apologetics Ch25
- Free Book Drawing: Mere Apologetics by Alister McG...
- ▼ March (36)
- ► 2011 (376)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)