Category Mistake / Category Error: the error of assigning to something a quality or action which can only properly be assigned to things of another category, for example treating abstract concepts as though they had a physical location. A semantic or ontological error in which "things of one kind are presented as if they belonged to another", or, alternatively, a property is ascribed to a thing that could not possibly have that property. For example, "how much does the number six weigh?"1
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Book Review: Atheism's New Clothes: Exploring and ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (06/22 - 06/29)
- Read Along: Chapter 14—Is Christianity the Cause o...
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: Kicking O...
- Alleged Historical Errors in the Gospels (Luke & J...
- Terminology Tuesday: Metaphor
- Intelligent Design Interview: Thomas E. Woodward
- Alister McGrath on Giving Answers
- Book Review: Creating Life In The Lab: How New Dis...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (06/15 - 06/22)
- Read Along: 13—Is God a Genocidal Bully?
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: A Call to...
- Lenny Esposito vs Richard Carrier Debate: Does God...
- Terminology Tuesday: Category Mistake
- Philosopher Interview: Victor Reppert
- John Tukey on Giving Answers
- Book Review: Galileo Goes to Jail and Other Myths ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (06/08 - 06/15)
- Read Along: 12—Is Hell a Divine Torture Chamber?
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: Five Tips...
- 10 Myths About God Video Series
- Terminology Tuesday: Mind-Body Problem
- Apologist Interview: Bobby Gilpin on Mormonism
- C.S. Lewis on Reasoning to Atheism
- Book Review: The Believing Brain by Michael Sherme...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (06/01 - 06/08)
- Read Along: 11—Does God Intend for Us to Keep Slav...
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: Four Less...
- C.S. Lewis Original Audio Recording
- Terminology Tuesday: Purgatory
- Apologist Interview: John Mark Reynolds
- Alister McGrath on Defending Christianity
- Book Review: Jesus and His World: The Archaeologic...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (05/25 - 06/01)
- Read Along: Chapter 10—Is Religion Dangerous?
- ▼ June (35)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)