One of the greatest difficulties is to keep before the audience's mind the question of Truth. They always think you are recommending Christianity not because it is true, but because it is good. And in the discussion they will at every moment try to escape from the issue ‘True-or False’ into stuff about a good society, or morals, or incomes of Bishops, or the Spanish inquisition, or France, or Poland—or anything whatever. You have to keep forcing them back, and again back, to the real point. Only thus you will be able to undermine...their belief that a certain amount of ‘religion’ is desirable but one mustn't carry it too far. One must keep on pointing out that Christianity is a statement which, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."
God in the Dock, 1945, p. 101. [HT: Arthur K]
Sunday, July 22, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Thinker Profile: David Hume
- Apologist Interview: Dave Sterrett
- Antony Flew on Multiverse Theory
- Book Review: Heresy: A History of Defending the Tr...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (07/20 - 07/27)
- Read Along: Chapter 18— Why Jesus Instead of the F...
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: When Apol...
- Why Does God Allow Tragedy and Suffering?
- Terminology Tuesday: Sin
- Apologist Interview: Alex McFarland (part 2)
- C.S. Lewis on the Question of Truth
- Book Review: Come Let Us Reason: New Essays in Chr...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (07/13 - 07/20)
- Read Along: Chapter 17— What Good Is Christianity?...
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: Implement...
- Lectures on the Canon by Michael J. Kruger
- Terminology: Reconciliation
- Apologist Interview: Alex McFarland (part 1)
- Charles Spurgeon on the Gospel
- Book Review: Reading God's World: The Scientific V...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (07/06 - 07/13)
- Read Along: Ch 16—Is Evil Only a Problem for Chris...
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: Questions...
- Douglas Jacoby vs Richard Carrier Debate: Jesus—So...
- Terminology Tuesday: Propitiation
- Philosopher Interview: Richard Swinburne
- Daniel B. Wallace on the New Testament Documents
- Book Review: On the Meaning of Sex by J. Budziszew...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (06/29 - 07/06)
- Read Along: Ch 15—Can People Be Good Without God?
- How to Get Apologetics in Your Church 2: Evangelis...
- Do the Gospels Contradict? by Michael Licona
- Terminology Tuesday: Retribution
- Author Interview: David Glass
- William Dembski on Chance
- ▼ July (35)
- ► 2011 (376)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)