Metaphysics: The branch of philosophy that deals with the nature of reality. Literally, metaphysics is that which is "beyond" or "after" physics, since it deals with questions such as the following: Are the entities postulated by science real? Does God exist? Do numbers and other mathematical objects exist independently of the human mind?
The term is sometimes used pejoratively, to designate an attempt to develop an impossible "super science" that would achieve completeness and certainty. It is also used as a synonym for ontology, the name for the study of being.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), pp. 74-75.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
- ► 2014 (140)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Apologetics DVD Curriculums
- Terminology Tuesday: Ontology
- Author Interview: Paul Buller
- Phillip E. Johnson on Darwinian Arguments
- Book Review: Christian Apologetics: An Anthology o...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/19 - 10/26)
- Lee Strobel Interview Transcript
- 36 Purposes of God in Our Suffering
- Michael Licona & Dale Martin: Did Jesus Physically...
- Terminology Tuesday: Metaphysics
- Apologist Interview: David Marshall
- Tim Keller on the Need for Apologetics
- Book Review: Thinking About Christian Apologetics:...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/12 - 10/19)
- Shop at Amazon and Support Apologetics315
- Brian Auten Interviewed on EIE Radio
- 52 Tips for Apologists
- Terminology Tuesday: Inference to the Best Explana...
- Apologist Interview: Douglas Wilson
- Tony Lane on Understanding History
- Book Review: The Grand Weaver by Ravi Zacharias
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/05 - 10/12)
- On Guard Apologetics Conference AUDIO
- Debate: Hugh Ross vs. Lewis Wolpert: Is there Evid...
- Mentoring by Greg Koukl: Watch Your Language [MP3]...
- Terminology Tuesday: Epistemology
- Apologist Interview: K. Scott Oliphint
- Hudson Taylor on Hardness of Heart
- Book Review: Christian Contours, by Douglas Huffma...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (09/28 - 10/05)
- 10 Great Apps for Reading, Listening, & Study
- Craig Keener Interview on Miracles: Transcript
- Apologetics Canada 2012 Conference Videos (and aud...
- Terminology Tuesday: Theodicy
- Apologist Interview: Craig Parton
- ▼ October (35)
- ► 2011 (392)
- ► 2010 (394)
- ► 2009 (337)
- ► 2008 (219)