Theodicy: An answer to the problem of evil that attempts to "justify the ways of God to man" by explaining God's reasons for allowing evil. Two of the more important theodicies are the "soul-making theodicy," which argues that God allows evil so as to make it possible for humans to develop certain desirable virtues, and the "free will theodicy," which argues that God had to allow for the possibility of evil if he wished to give humans (and angelic beings) free will. Theodicies are often distinguished from defenses, which argue that it is reasonable to believe that God has reasons for allowing evil even if we do not know what those reasons are.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 114.
Tuesday, October 02, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Apologetics DVD Curriculums
- Terminology Tuesday: Ontology
- Author Interview: Paul Buller
- Phillip E. Johnson on Darwinian Arguments
- Book Review: Christian Apologetics: An Anthology o...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/19 - 10/26)
- Lee Strobel Interview Transcript
- 36 Purposes of God in Our Suffering
- Michael Licona & Dale Martin: Did Jesus Physically...
- Terminology Tuesday: Metaphysics
- Apologist Interview: David Marshall
- Tim Keller on the Need for Apologetics
- Book Review: Thinking About Christian Apologetics:...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/12 - 10/19)
- Shop at Amazon and Support Apologetics315
- Brian Auten Interviewed on EIE Radio
- 52 Tips for Apologists
- Terminology Tuesday: Inference to the Best Explana...
- Apologist Interview: Douglas Wilson
- Tony Lane on Understanding History
- Book Review: The Grand Weaver by Ravi Zacharias
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/05 - 10/12)
- On Guard Apologetics Conference AUDIO
- Debate: Hugh Ross vs. Lewis Wolpert: Is there Evid...
- Mentoring by Greg Koukl: Watch Your Language [MP3]...
- Terminology Tuesday: Epistemology
- Apologist Interview: K. Scott Oliphint
- Hudson Taylor on Hardness of Heart
- Book Review: Christian Contours, by Douglas Huffma...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (09/28 - 10/05)
- 10 Great Apps for Reading, Listening, & Study
- Craig Keener Interview on Miracles: Transcript
- Apologetics Canada 2012 Conference Videos (and aud...
- Terminology Tuesday: Theodicy
- Apologist Interview: Craig Parton
- ▼ October (35)
- ► 2011 (376)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)