Necessary Being: A being whose existence is no mere accident or contingent result but whose very nature is to exist necessarily. God has traditionally been understood as a necessary being, and it is this aspect of the concept of God that underlies the ontological argument for God's existence. A necessary being can be defined (following Gottfried Leibniz) as one that exists in every possible world.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 79.
Tuesday, November 06, 2012
- ► 2014 (107)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/23 - 11/30)
- Audio Resources by Tim McGrew
- Featured Resource: PowerPoint Apologist
- John Warwick Montgomery Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Possible Worlds
- Philosopher Interview: Chad Meister
- Sunday Quote: Adler & VanDoren on Mental Exercise
- Book Review: C.S. Lewis's Dangerous Idea: In Defen...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/16 - 11/23)
- The Reason for God MP3s by Tim Keller
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Douglas...
- Paul Copan Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Ontological Argument
- Scholar Interview: Louis Markos
- Paul Copan on Apologetic Arguments
- A Quick and Easy Guide to Getting Started in Apolo...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/09 - 11/16)
- Contending with Christianity's Critics: Conference...
- Literary Apologetics MP3 by Holly Ordway
- Interview Transcript: Michael J. Kruger
- Terminology Tuesday: Worldview
- Proverbs: On Being Wise In Your Own Eyes
- Book Review: Liberal Arts for the Christian Life
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/02 - 11/09)
- Things Which Ought To Be Better Known About The Re...
- Interview Transcript: Hugh Ross
- William Lane Craig & Kari Enqvist Debate: Can the ...
- Terminology Tuesday: Necessary Being
- Apologist Interview: Mary Jo Sharp
- J. Gresham Machen on Faith and Knowledge
- Book Review: Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?: Who T...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/26 - 11/02)
- Tactical Faith: Grassroots Apologetics Movement
- Licona & Martin: Did Jesus Believe He Was Divine?
- ▼ November (34)
- ► 2011 (398)
- ► 2010 (394)
- ► 2009 (338)
- ► 2008 (220)