Ontological Argument: A priori argument for God's existence holding that the concept of God implies his necessary existence. Anselm is credited with originating this argument with his claim that God is a being "than which none greater can be conceived" and that a being who existed only in thought would not be such a being.
The argument was defended by Rene Descartes and Gottfried Leibniz and attacked by David Hume and Immanuel Kant. In the twentieth century the argument was defended by Alvin Plantinga, Norman Malcolm and Charles Hartshorne. Some of the twentieth-century versions stressed the idea that necessary existence is an essential property of God.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 85.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/23 - 11/30)
- Audio Resources by Tim McGrew
- Featured Resource: PowerPoint Apologist
- John Warwick Montgomery Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Possible Worlds
- Philosopher Interview: Chad Meister
- Sunday Quote: Adler & VanDoren on Mental Exercise
- Book Review: C.S. Lewis's Dangerous Idea: In Defen...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/16 - 11/23)
- The Reason for God MP3s by Tim Keller
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Douglas...
- Paul Copan Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Ontological Argument
- Scholar Interview: Louis Markos
- Paul Copan on Apologetic Arguments
- A Quick and Easy Guide to Getting Started in Apolo...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/09 - 11/16)
- Contending with Christianity's Critics: Conference...
- Literary Apologetics MP3 by Holly Ordway
- Interview Transcript: Michael J. Kruger
- Terminology Tuesday: Worldview
- Proverbs: On Being Wise In Your Own Eyes
- Book Review: Liberal Arts for the Christian Life
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/02 - 11/09)
- Things Which Ought To Be Better Known About The Re...
- Interview Transcript: Hugh Ross
- William Lane Craig & Kari Enqvist Debate: Can the ...
- Terminology Tuesday: Necessary Being
- Apologist Interview: Mary Jo Sharp
- J. Gresham Machen on Faith and Knowledge
- Book Review: Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?: Who T...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (10/26 - 11/02)
- Tactical Faith: Grassroots Apologetics Movement
- Licona & Martin: Did Jesus Believe He Was Divine?
- ▼ November (34)
- ► 2011 (376)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)