Wager Argument: An argument developed by Blaise Pascal that urges an unbeliever to attempt to develop faith in God even if the evidence for God's existence is not decisive. Pascal compared belief and unbelief in God to a wager and pointed the potential gains and losses each bet holds. If some bet on God and are wrong, they will lose only the paltry pleasure from some sins in this life that they might have enjoyed. If others bet on God and are right, however they stand to gain eternal bliss. The potential gains and losses are thus staggeringly disproportionate, and Pascal urged the unbeliever to pray, attend Mass and do whatever else may be necessary to develop faith.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 122.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- 2012 Year in Review: Apologetics 315
- Francis Schaeffer on Christian Relationships
- Book Review: He's Greater Than You Know by Phil We...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/21 - 12/28)
- Merry Christmas from Apologetics 315!
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/14 - 12/21)
- End of Year Support Request
- Historian Paul L. Maier Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Wager Argument
- 2012 Apologetics Interviews
- Morris Bender on Skepticism
- Book Review: Not God's Type by Holly Ordway
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/07 - 12/14)
- Norman Geisler Interview Transcript
- 10 Misconceptions About the NT Canon by Michael Kr...
- Saddleback's Apologetics Weekend on Creation
- Terminology Tuesday: Teleological Argument
- J. Warner Wallace Lectures on Evidence for Christi...
- Richard Graves on the Authenticity and Genuineness...
- Book Review: Jesus and the Eyewitness by Richard B...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (11/30 - 12/07)
- Is God Just a Human Invention?
- Book GiveAway: Jesus iWitness & Resurrection iWitn...
- Craig Blomberg Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Contingency
- Apologist Interview: Douglas Jacoby
- G. K. Chesterton on Atheism
- Book Review: Was Jesus God? by Richard Swinburne
- ▼ December (28)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)