Occam's (Okham's) razor: One of the main axioms of nominalist philosopher William of Occam (c.1300-1349), namely, that principles employed to explain any phenomenon should not be multiplied without necessity. In the modern era Occam's razor was used to eliminate the supernatural from view. Hence critics argued, for example, that we need no longer appeal to demonic possession to explain what is better referred to as some purely human malady such as epilepsy or mental illness.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 85.
Tuesday, January 08, 2013
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- Free: Essential Apologetics PowerPoint Series
- SALT Conference Videos Free Online
- Terminology Tuesday: The Five Ways
- Apologist Interview: John Bloom
- John Elder on Archaeology and the Bible
- 2nd Book Review: Evil: A Guide for the Perplexed
- Review: Evil: A Guide for the Perplexed by Chad Me...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/18 - 01/25)
- Petition: Churches for Apologetics
- Michael Licona Interview Transcript
- God & Arguments from Morality
- Terminology Tuesday: Middle Knowledge
- Tactical Faith Interview: Matthew Burford
- Ravi Zacharias on the Problem of Evil
- Book Review: The Bible Among the Myths by John Osw...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/11 - 01/18)
- SALT Apologetics Conference January 19th & 20th
- Old Testament & the New Atheists: Peter J. William...
- Scott Klusendorf Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Naturalism, Natural Theology
- Apologist Interview: Frank Turek
- William Lane Craig on Apologetics Training
- Book Review: Defending the Faith: Apologetics in W...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/04 - 01/11)
- Free Logic Primer eBook Download
- Best Selling Apologetics Books of 2012
- Michael Patton Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Occam's Razor
- Apologist Interview: J. Warner Wallace
- J. Budziszewski on Agnosticism
- Book Review: Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner W...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/28 - 01/04)
- Interview Transcript: David Instone-Brewer
- Featured Resource: The Logic Classroom
- Michael Licona on Bible Contradictions (MP3)
- Terminology Tuesday: Transcendence
- ▼ January (36)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)