Transcendence: That which is higher than or surpasses other things. What is transcendent is thus relative to what is transcended. God is conceived by traditional theologians as being transcendent with respect to the created universe, meaning that he is outside the universe and that no part of the universe is identical to him or part of him. To think of God as transcendent with respect to time is to conceive of him as timeless. Immanuel Kant believed that God was transcendent in the sense of being beyond the possibility of any human experience. Theologians have usually balanced an emphasis on God's transcendence with and emphasis on God's immanence within the created world as embodied in his knowledge of and action within the world.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 117.
Tuesday, January 01, 2013
- Free: Essential Apologetics PowerPoint Series
- SALT Conference Videos Free Online
- Terminology Tuesday: The Five Ways
- Apologist Interview: John Bloom
- John Elder on Archaeology and the Bible
- 2nd Book Review: Evil: A Guide for the Perplexed
- Review: Evil: A Guide for the Perplexed by Chad Me...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/18 - 01/25)
- Petition: Churches for Apologetics
- Michael Licona Interview Transcript
- God & Arguments from Morality
- Terminology Tuesday: Middle Knowledge
- Tactical Faith Interview: Matthew Burford
- Ravi Zacharias on the Problem of Evil
- Book Review: The Bible Among the Myths by John Osw...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/11 - 01/18)
- SALT Apologetics Conference January 19th & 20th
- Old Testament & the New Atheists: Peter J. William...
- Scott Klusendorf Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Naturalism, Natural Theology
- Apologist Interview: Frank Turek
- William Lane Craig on Apologetics Training
- Book Review: Defending the Faith: Apologetics in W...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/04 - 01/11)
- Free Logic Primer eBook Download
- Best Selling Apologetics Books of 2012
- Michael Patton Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Occam's Razor
- Apologist Interview: J. Warner Wallace
- J. Budziszewski on Agnosticism
- Book Review: Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner W...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/28 - 01/04)
- Interview Transcript: David Instone-Brewer
- Featured Resource: The Logic Classroom
- Michael Licona on Bible Contradictions (MP3)
- Terminology Tuesday: Transcendence
- ▼ January (36)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (412)
- ► 2010 (394)
- ► 2009 (338)
- ► 2008 (222)