Coherence theory of truth: A theory of knowledge that asserts that a given proposition or statement is true when it is consistent within a larger set of propositions also taken to be true. If propositions come into conflict (are contradictory), it is assumed that either one or both of the propositions is false. The weakness of the coherence theory of truth is that there can be no proof of the "starting point" of the "first proposition" of a belief system; instead, such a system of beliefs is usually accepted on the basis that it is self-evidently true.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 27.
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
- ► 2014 (98)
- J.P. Moreland Interview Transcript
- Unbelievable Conference 2013: London
- Terminology Tuesday: Coherence Theory of Truth
- Apologist Interview: Blake Anderson of Ratio Chris...
- J. Warner Wallace on Evidence
- Book Review: Arguing with Friends by Paul Buller
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/15 - 02/22)
- Book Give Away: The Attributes of God for Children...
- Why is the Universe Fine-Tuned for Life? Video by ...
- K. Scott Oliphint Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Presuppositionalism
- Brian Auten Interviewed by Backpack Radio
- Jonathan Morrow on Apologetics for Everyone
- Book Review: An Introduction to the Philosophy of ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/08 - 02/15)
- Online Apologetics Conference 2013
- Ravi Zacharias Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: A posteriori, A priori
- Brian Auten Interviewed by Apologetics.com
- Oswald Chambers on Making Disciples
- Book Review: 10 Answers for Skeptics by Alex McFar...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/01 - 02/08)
- William Lane Craig vs Alex Rosenberg Debate MP3 Au...
- Featured Resource: Open Biola
- Robin Collins Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Evidentialism
- Author Interview: Johnny V. Miller
- Charles Spurgeon on Discernment
- Book Review: Responsibility and Atonement by Richa...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/25 - 02/01)
- Michael Licona Interview Transcript (2)
- ▼ February (31)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (401)
- ► 2010 (394)
- ► 2009 (338)
- ► 2008 (220)