Presuppositionalism: A variety of classical evangelical apologetics often associated with Cornelius Van Til. Presuppositionalists assert that any system of belief is built on certain foundational presuppositions (unprovable assertions that must be believed to make experience meaningful). As a result, the best means of Christian apologetics is not to prove certain specific assertions such as the existence of God, the historicity of the resurrection or the authority of the Bible. Instead the presuppositionalist Christian apologist explores the foundational presuppositions of competing belief systems with the goal of showing that human experience makes sense (or has meaning) most clearly when viewed in the light of the foundational teachings of the Christian faith.1
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 95.
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
- ► 2014 (110)
- J.P. Moreland Interview Transcript
- Unbelievable Conference 2013: London
- Terminology Tuesday: Coherence Theory of Truth
- Apologist Interview: Blake Anderson of Ratio Chris...
- J. Warner Wallace on Evidence
- Book Review: Arguing with Friends by Paul Buller
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/15 - 02/22)
- Book Give Away: The Attributes of God for Children...
- Why is the Universe Fine-Tuned for Life? Video by ...
- K. Scott Oliphint Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Presuppositionalism
- Brian Auten Interviewed by Backpack Radio
- Jonathan Morrow on Apologetics for Everyone
- Book Review: An Introduction to the Philosophy of ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/08 - 02/15)
- Online Apologetics Conference 2013
- Ravi Zacharias Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: A posteriori, A priori
- Brian Auten Interviewed by Apologetics.com
- Oswald Chambers on Making Disciples
- Book Review: 10 Answers for Skeptics by Alex McFar...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/01 - 02/08)
- William Lane Craig vs Alex Rosenberg Debate MP3 Au...
- Featured Resource: Open Biola
- Robin Collins Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Evidentialism
- Author Interview: Johnny V. Miller
- Charles Spurgeon on Discernment
- Book Review: Responsibility and Atonement by Richa...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/25 - 02/01)
- Michael Licona Interview Transcript (2)
- ▼ February (31)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (398)
- ► 2010 (394)
- ► 2009 (338)
- ► 2008 (220)