Principle of Sufficient Reason: The claim that there must be an explanation for every positive fact, some reason why that fact obtains rather than not obtaining. This principle is generally attributed to Gottfried Leibniz, for whom it took the form of the assumption that God has a sufficient reason for every choice he has made. The principle, or some variation on it, often plays a key role in cosmological arguments for the existence of the finite universe. Those who deny the principle of sufficient reason are committed to the claim that some facts obtain for no reason, and thus that there is a surd (nonrational) element to the universe.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 112.
What was last year's post? See here: James White's debate with Bart Ehrman.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
- ► 2015 (70)
- ► 2014 (151)
- Francis Schaeffer on Apologetics
- Book Review: The Only Wise God by William Lane Cra...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/22 - 03/29)
- Evidence Jesus is Alive by Timothy McGrew
- Casey Luskin Interview Transcript on Intelligent D...
- Apologetics Audiobook Directory
- Terminology Tuesday: Cumulative Case Arguments
- Top Ten Myths About the Resurrection
- C.S. Lewis on Daily Devotion
- Book Review: Science and Human Origins
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/15 - 03/22)
- Jeff Zweerink Interview Transcript
- Eight Issues That Do NOT Make or Break Christianit...
- Featured Resource: Answers for Atheists
- Terminology Tuesday: Principle of Sufficient Reaso...
- Peter S. Williams on C.S. Lewis vs the New Atheist...
- Paul L. Maier on the Empty Tomb
- Review: What is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/08 - 03/15)
- The Ontological Argument: Malcolm's Formulation
- David Robertson Interview Transcript
- Sean McDowell vs. James Corbett Debate MP3 Audio
- Terminology Tuesday: God-of-the-Gaps Argument
- Apologist Interview: Ron Rhodes
- John MacArthur on the Resurrection of Jesus
- Book Review: The Christian God by Richard Swinburn...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/01 - 03/08)
- Follow Apologetics 315 on Facebook and Twitter
- Frank Turek Interview Transcript
- Reasonable Faith UK Tour 2011 Videos
- Terminology Tuesday: Free Will Defense
- Interview: J. Steve Miller on Near-Death Experienc...
- Charles Spurgeon on Christian Persuasion
- Book Review: The Intolerance of Tolerance by D.A. ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (02/22 - 03/01)
- Advanced Pro-Life Apologetics Course
- ▼ March (36)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (381)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)