Read Along project with the excellent apologetics textbook Christian Apologetics by Doug Groothuis. (The index can be found here.) It was only 700+ pages.
Then we tackled a second, shorter book, under 300 pages, just 18 chapters: Is God Just a Human Invention: And Seventeen Other Questions Raised by the New Atheists by Sean McDowell and Jonathan Morrow. (Hear the interview with the authors here and book review here.)
Due to a number of requests, we will be restarting this Read Along this month for a second time around!
First, the quality of the content is excellent. The authors have a wonderful ability to distill key ideas concisely without sacrificing depth. Second, the size is right. The chapters are a manageable size and the book isn't overwhelming. The diversity of content keeps it fresh, while staying relevant to key apologetic topics. Third, it introduces the reader to the key voices on the apologetic landscape. It also provides helpful pointers to key resources for further reading. This is a great place to get started down the right path in dealing with each particular issue. Finally, this book covers the kind of issues that we deal with everyday in conversation, on the internet, and as we grapple with the issues ourselves.
So what's the plan? For those who did the Read Along previously, you'll see that things will flow the same way: Audio will be provided each week with chapter summaries, a PDF study guide, and a place to discuss the reading online.
Okay, so when do we start? We'll start next Friday. In the meantime, you can pick up the paperback or the Kindle version of the book so you'll be ready to start.
Looking forward to reading along with you again!
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- Terminology Tuesday: Theistic Evolutionism
- Interview Transcript Index
- Sunday Quote: C.S. Lewis on Philosophy
- Book Review: The God Argument by A.C. Grayling
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/19 - 04/26)
- Read Along: Chapter 3—Are Miracles Possible?
- Michael Kruger Interview on the Canon of Scripture...
- Frank Turek vs. David Silverman Debate: Which offe...
- Terminology Tuesday: General Revelation
- Apologist Interview: Larry Taunton
- Tim Keller on Doubt
- Review: Warranted Christian Belief by Alvin Planti...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/12 - 04/19)
- Read Along: Ch2—Are Science and Christianity at Od...
- Pro-Life Ethics MP3 Audio by Scott Klusendorf
- Bruce Little Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Nihilism
- Apologist Interview: Randal Rauser
- St. Augustine on the Gospel
- Book Review: Mapping the Origins Debate: Six Model...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/05 - 04/12)
- Read Along: Chapter One—Is Faith Irrational?
- Douglas Groothuis Defense of Natural Theology MP3
- Peter S. Williams vs. Christopher Norris: Does God...
- Terminology Tuesday: Truth
- Philosopher Interview: Max Andrews
- G.K. Chesterton on Arguing with the Madman
- Review: Warrant: The Current Debate by Alvin Plant...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/29 - 04/05)
- Do You Want to Read Along?
- Sean McDowell and Michael Shermer Dialogue Videos
- Ellis Potter Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Agnosticism
- Free: Essential Apologetics PowerPoint Series
- ▼ April (34)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)