General revelation: Term used for the knowledge about God that he makes possible through the natural world, including general religious experiences of awe and dependence. Defenders of general revelation have usually claimed that it is sufficient only to give us knowledge of the existence of a powerful Creator, though some have argued that the goodness of God can also be seen in the natural order. General revelation is distinguished from the special revelation God has provided on particular occasions in history through the prophets, apostles and supremely (for Christians) Jesus of Nazareth. Special revelation provides more concrete knowledge of the character and actions of God in relation to his creation.1
1. C.Stephen Evans, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), p. 49.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- Terminology Tuesday: Theistic Evolutionism
- Interview Transcript Index
- Sunday Quote: C.S. Lewis on Philosophy
- Book Review: The God Argument by A.C. Grayling
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/19 - 04/26)
- Read Along: Chapter 3—Are Miracles Possible?
- Michael Kruger Interview on the Canon of Scripture...
- Frank Turek vs. David Silverman Debate: Which offe...
- Terminology Tuesday: General Revelation
- Apologist Interview: Larry Taunton
- Tim Keller on Doubt
- Review: Warranted Christian Belief by Alvin Planti...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/12 - 04/19)
- Read Along: Ch2—Are Science and Christianity at Od...
- Pro-Life Ethics MP3 Audio by Scott Klusendorf
- Bruce Little Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Nihilism
- Apologist Interview: Randal Rauser
- St. Augustine on the Gospel
- Book Review: Mapping the Origins Debate: Six Model...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/05 - 04/12)
- Read Along: Chapter One—Is Faith Irrational?
- Douglas Groothuis Defense of Natural Theology MP3
- Peter S. Williams vs. Christopher Norris: Does God...
- Terminology Tuesday: Truth
- Philosopher Interview: Max Andrews
- G.K. Chesterton on Arguing with the Madman
- Review: Warrant: The Current Debate by Alvin Plant...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (03/29 - 04/05)
- Do You Want to Read Along?
- Sean McDowell and Michael Shermer Dialogue Videos
- Ellis Potter Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Agnosticism
- Free: Essential Apologetics PowerPoint Series
- ▼ April (34)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)