Gnosticism: An early Greek religious movement of broad proportions that was particularly influential in the second-century church. Many biblical interpreters see in certain NT documents (such as 1 John) the attempt to answer or refute Gnostic teaching. The word gnosticism comes from the Greek term gnosis, meaning "knowledge." Gnostics believed that devotees had gained a special kind of spiritual enlightenment, through which they had attained a secret or higher level of knowledge not accessible to the uninitiated. Gnostics also tended to emphasize the spiritual realm over the material, often claiming that the material realm is evil and hence to be escaped.1
You may also be interested in this lecture: Gnosticism Past & Present.
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 56.
Tuesday, May 07, 2013
- ► 2015 (77)
- ► 2014 (151)
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (05/24 - 05/31)
- Read Along: Ch8—Has Science Shown There Is No Soul...
- Video: What is Intelligent Design? by William Demb...
- Robert Bowman Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Exegesis, Eisegesis
- Apologist Interview: Carson Weitnauer
- J.P. Moreland on Tolerance, Religion, and Morality...
- Book Review: Embryo—A Defense of Human Life
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (05/17 - 05/24)
- Read Along: Ch.7—Why is the Universe Just Right fo...
- Forum of Christian Leaders: Apologetics Resources
- Brett Kunkle and Richard Greene Debate: Can We Be ...
- Terminology Tuesday: Natural Law
- Apologist Interview: Michael Ward
- Randy Alcorn on Suffering
- Mind and Cosmos: Why the Neo-Darwinian Conception ...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (05/10 - 05/17)
- Read Along: Chapter 6—How Did Life Begin?
- Free: Essential Apologetics PowerPoint Series
- John Dickson Interview Transcript
- Terminology Tuesday: Empiricism
- J.P. Moreland on Intellectual Virtue
- Review: Mind, Brain and Free Will by Richard Swinb...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (05/03 - 05/10)
- Read Along: Chapter 5—How Did the Universe Begin?
- How to Be a Morally Responsible Skeptic MP3 Audio ...
- The Origin of Life Debate: May 16 in Riverside, CA...
- Terminology Tuesday: Gnosticism
- Ticket Giveaway: Unbelievable? The Conference 2013...
- John Stackhouse on the Centrality of Christ
- Book Review: A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bib...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (04/26 - 05/03)
- Read Along: Chapter 4—Is Darwinian Evolution the O...
- Richard Dawkins Interviewed by Justin Brierley MP3...
- Keep Your Heart With All Diligence - MP3 Audio by ...
- ▼ May (35)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (372)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)