Time, Timelessness: Time refers to the relation of events within creation to each other. Generally events are viewed as forming a linear succession, leading to the idea of the "time line." But the succession of events might also by cyclical, resulting in time as a circle. The Bible presents time as a divinely created reality in which God historically works out the divine plan of salvation. Thus time begins "in the beginning" and moves linearly toward a future goal. Philosophers and theologians have debated how time and eternity are related, as well as the nature of the connection between God and time. Some thinkers assert that time and eternity are totally distinct, while others collapse them, in part as a reaction against viewing time itself being an entity. Theologians who assert that God is timeless maintain that God created time and therefore stands "above" the temporal flow. Others suggest that God travels with creation through time.1
Suggested reading on God & time:
• Time and Eternity: Exploring God's Relationship to Time William Lane Craig
• God & Time: Four Views various authors
1. Stanley J. Grenz, David Guretzki & Cherith Fee Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1999), p. 115.
Tuesday, January 06, 2015
- Review: Who's Afraid of the Multiverse by Jeff Zwe...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/23- 01/30)
- Burning Questions DVD Documentary
- The Problem of Evil—MP3: Ray Stewart
- Terminology Tuesday: Modalism
- Apologist Interview: Frank Turek
- Thomas Arnold on the Evidence for the Resurrection...
- Book Review: Origins of Life: Biblical and Evoluti...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/16- 01/23)
- Good Without God? The Moral Argument VIDEO
- Is God a Moral Monster?—MP3: Paul Copan
- Terminology Tuesday: Immanence
- Apologist Interview: Fazale Rana
- Lee Strobel on Apologetic Engagement
- Book Review: The Concept of Miracle by Richard Swi...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/09- 01/16)
- "That's Just Your Opinion" by Greg Koukl
- The Atheist Manual—MP3: Tim McGrew & Tom Gilson
- Terminology Tuesday: Inference
- Apologist Interview: Graham Veale
- Sunday Quote: Frank Tipler on Cosmology
- Book Review: Seriously Dangerous Religion: What th...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (01/02- 01/09)
- The New Apostolic Reformation - Doug Geivett MP3 A...
- Answering Doubts: A Conference for Questions—Video...
- Terminology Tuesday: Time, Timelessness
- Apologist Interview: Dr. Jefrey Breshears
- Jaroslav Pelikan on Christian Education
- Book Review: The Doors of the Sea: Where was God i...
- Weekly Apologetics Bonus Links (12/26 - 01/02)
- Confessions of a Former Atheist
- Introducing the Center for American Evangelism
- ▼ January (32)
- ► 2014 (151)
- ► 2013 (376)
- ► 2012 (413)
- ► 2011 (376)
- ► 2010 (393)
- ► 2009 (336)
- ► 2008 (219)